Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Monday, September 27, 2010

4 REASONS NOT TO BLOG, 33 REASONS WHY I WILL

It's official. I'm blogging.  This is something that I have thought about doing for some time now.  I am probably quite normal, in this case.  I think about doing all these different things, cool things, but I don't take them further than just thinking about them. Oh, "some day I will", I tell myself.  That ends today. My blog begins.  I do have some "good" reasons for being hesitant, scared frankly, to start all of this.

1. I am terrible with computers.  Hopefully I will get better with time and make this a fun blog for you the reader as well as for myself.  It has taken me about 3 hours this morning just to get to this point where I can actually post something.  I know it is very plain right now, but someday I hope to learn how to add graphics, pictures, jokes, etc.  This will definitely be a learning experience.

2. I don't want to spend all my free time on the computer.  Like I said, I have already been sitting here for 3 hours today.  Most people that know me, know that I am terrible at checking my e-mail.  That's because I hate turning on the computer.  It's like a magnet once I turn it on.  I will turn it on to check something and spend an hour doing other stuff before I even get to what I turned it on for.  I look at the clock and realise that I have been sitting there for 2 hours. I hate that about myself.

3.  I know that I don't know good grammar.  You will find a lot of words spelled wrong, punctuation errors, words used wrong and a variety of other mistakes as you read my blog.  Oh well, you have been warned.

4.  What if I fail?  My main reason in starting this blog is to provide myself some public humiliation.  I probably won't fail at that.  I have thought for a long time that I would like to lose some weight.  Once again thinking about something and not doing anything about it.  I want to get myself to a weight less than 200 pounds.  You often times hear that you should make your goals known to other people.  If other people know about your goals, you are more likely to achieve them.  Keeping them to yourself is safer, nobody will know if you are failing, but also makes them harder to achieve. 

Those are four good reasons , to me, that have kept this blog as just an idea.  But more importantly, I have 33 reasons to put my thoughts in action.  My current weight is 233 lbs.  My goal is to lose 33 of those hitchhikers.  And I am going to do it by my birthday.  That's six months from now.  For those of you looking for a calculator, that's just a little more than 5 pounds a month.  That is certainly something I can do. Right?  (This is the part where you go to comments and give me your encouragement).

So I am now open to public humiliation.

Whoa! Who is that walking with my son? And why is he wearing my shirt?  Or at least a larger version of my shirt. How do I get my wife to pull this picture off her facebook page?

My plan is to post my weight on here every Monday morning.  (It should be less than the weight I reported the previous Monday).  During the week I will make small posts about my exercise experiences.  Bicycling is by far my preferred exercise.  I love riding down the road with nothing more than my thoughts.  Something about pedaling down the road just opens the mind and allows for clear thinking.  And the best time of the year to bike is just starting.  Days are getting cooler, love that crisp fall air, and the leaves are changing colors on the trees.  The only thing better would be sunlight earlier in the morning.  A good bike ride takes some time though.  Not every day has a window of free time long enough for a good ride.  So, I am trying to do some running, without hating it.  I don't like to run!  Why does it have to hurt so much?  Is it because I am 40 and out of shape?  But I am trying to work in some runs, when I don't have better options.  I am lucky enough to have a small lake near our house with a nice path around it.  If I am going to run, doing it around a lake is definitely more enjoyable than just running down the road.

I will achieve this goal one day at a time.  I know it is a matter of sticking with the plan, realizing it won't happen over night.  Not getting discouraged when the weight doesn't melt off as fast as I want it to. That's why I titled my blog Win The Day.  It's a reminder to myself to do something every day that will bring me closer to my goal.  But it goes beyond weight loss.  I want to win every day both physically and as a husband and father.  I want to go to bed every night knowing that I made the right decisions that day that led to a winning day.  For myself and my family, I will win the day! 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog. You are so deep. Maybe you should come to bootcamp soon. I will definitely kick your butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I hope it motivates you. I know it will be entertaining for the rest of us. Best of luck! We're behind you and you CAN do this!! :)

    ReplyDelete