Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

PRESENTING THE FIRST WTD AWARD

Those of you that have been loyal readers, having followed this blog from the beginning, know that I don't often hand out awards.  In fact, I have never given one out.  Awards are often times given out too easily these days.  They have no value because little was done to earn them. 

For example, when I played little league baseball, not everyone got a trophy at the end of the season (unlike today).  If you wanted a trophy, you had to work for it all season.  I wasn't awarded the 'Best Batter' trophy for the Aurora Farm Team in 1977 or 78 (I think) just because my brother was the coach. Did I Leland?  I earned that trophy.  Coaching did play a part though.  I remember a game in Salina, after one of my many home runs, striking out my next at bat on only 3 pitches.  Walking back to the dugout, the caring coach put his arm around my shoulders and said, "they could have rolled that to you on the ground and you would have swung at it".  A coach is always hardest on his best player.  This was just an example. Possibly a poor one. I am not against little kids all getting a trophy.

But today I am presenting the first WTD award.  These awards will be presented on occasion to someone that inspires and helps me to Win The Day.  This first award I am presenting to Randi, my spinning instructor.


What qualifies Randi for this award?  Let me list some of her qualifications.
  1. She's a friend.  Look at that picture taken after class this morning.  She obviously made me work pretty hard.  But when it's all over and I am done silently cursing her to myself, we can still stand by each other and smile.  Probably more important is that on a couple of occasions she has also helped me with gifts for Heidi. Thanks for your friendship.
  2. She turned me on.  Let me clarify that one.  She turned me on to cycling.  At the time I met her she was leading classes at the South Jordan Rec Center.  My trainer that I was working out with suggested that I attend one of Randi's classes.  I resisted for a few weeks, scared of any formal classes in which I would look old and out of shape in front of other people.  But I finally went, and my life changed.  The classes were fun! Hard, but fun.  Had Randi not been able to make it fun, I would have left and never gone back.  We have gone to other teachers classes and not gone back. After a few weeks of attending her classes and getting Heidi to go with me, the next step was to take our riding outside.  But we didn't have any bikes.  I'm sure I speak for the staff at Infinite Cycles in Riverton, in telling Randi thanks.  After spending more than a little bit of money there, cycling has become one of our favorite things to do.  Heidi even began competing in triathlons soon after, and has been killing humiliating her competition. (That's for you Bro., still cracks me up)  Cycling has been something we have been able to enjoy together.  Quality time spent together all because another woman turned me on.  Thanks for inspiring us to take up cycling.
  3. She's not afraid to act on her dreams.  Like I said, when I met her she was working at the SJ Rec Center.  She now owns her own business.  She teaches spinning, yoga, and other classes at her house in West Jordan.  Anyone in the area who wants a fun workout should check her out. No Excuse Fitness  She is currently working towards getting her license as a personal trainer.  In her preparation, she has prepared a list of health tips that I will be sharing over the next few posts.
Let me just thank you again Randi for the friendship and bringing cycling into our lives.  You inspire me to win everyday.

One more thing about spin class this morning.  Look where Heidi positioned herself.  Right in front of me.  She's so competitive.  She has to be in front even on stationary bikes.  Oh sure, they were saying all the right things.  "we can scoot over", "do you want to come up here?"  But I knew what was up.  Do you blame me for staying back there?  Look at those legs.  She definitely motivates me.


After spin class, Heidi and Chase were going to have lunch and spend time with one of Heidi's friends.  The other three kids were in school, leaving me with a free afternoon.  WAHOO!!  What to do with it?  I could stay home and recover from class with a quiet nap.  After all, I had just put in a good effort.  But I knew I would just sit at the computer all afternoon messing with this time trap.  I could drive out to Cabelas for the afternoon.  I can spend hours just walking around that store.  But where would that leave me?  Just wising I had more money to spend on things that I think I need.  And besides, I am running out of places to hide things that I buy there.

I decided to go for a bike ride.  I think I have made it clear by now that I really enjoy bicycling.  Probably the only thing that would make it funner would be to ride somewhere, fish for awhile, then ride back home.  Two of my favorite things.  That's my kind of duathlon.  This is such a beautiful time of the year to ride.  Just look at these pictures from my ride. (click on them to enlarge)

Leaving home. Destination, Butterfield Canyon
 




The picture at the head of the blog is from today's ride also.  Remembering my number one reason to not start a blog, if someone can instruct me on making it smaller I would appreciate it.  It gave me an option to adjust the width, but not the height.

Twenty-one miles, a lot of hard climbing, and 1800 burned calories later I was back home hoping that I could figure out how to successfully put this all into a post.  Sorry about the pictures.  I have been trying for over an hour to arrange them side by side.  I'm tired of trying.  Hope you enjoy them just the same.

P.S. Hey, I'm learning slowly.  Came back today and figured out how to align the pictures a little better.  It probably helps that it isn't late at night and I'm not tired and frustrated with the computer.



1 comment:

  1. You and Aunt Heidi are an inspiration!!! I like the Cycling as well. I'm no where near your status but maybe one day... :) Keep up the inspiration! I need it :)

    ReplyDelete