Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Monday, November 8, 2010

A THORN IN MY SIDE, TIMES THREE

The weather last week was just too good to last for long.  It turned today, in a big way.  Knowing that the bad weather was coming, Heidi and I tried to get a bike ride in before it got too bad.  Our goal when we left the house was 40 miles.  Before leaving Heidi asked me if I thought she would be warm enough.  She does get cold easy, but I thought she would be ok.  She said she thought she would be ok too, as long as we didn't have to stop.  I think she jinxed us.

We headed south on Redwood Road towards Saratoga Springs.  We intended to ride to Saratoga, take a loop through Eagle Mountain, and return home.  Just before reaching Camp Williams I noticed my rear tire slowly losing air pressure.  I stopped to check it and found a thorn in the tire.  This would be a good opportunity to teach Heidi how to fix a flat. She has wanted me to show her how so that she would be ready if ever alone.  Why is it that when you are trying to show someone how to do something, it never goes smoothly?  It took way too long to change that tire.  When it was finally changed we got ready to ride, only to notice that the front tire was flat also.  What a disappointment.  We were so ready to start riding again.  The weather was turning fast and Heidi was starting to get cold.  And now I had another thorn to extract and another tube to change out.  This one went much smoother and we were soon riding again.  But we didn't get too far.  After about 2 miles of riding the front tire was flat once again.  It seemed so fast that I was wondering if I had pinched the tube or done something else incorrectly when changing the last one.  But a third thorn was found and removed.  It's a good thing Heidi was riding with me on this ride.  I usually only carry two extra tubes.  At this point I would have been out of tubes and calling Heidi for a ride home.  By now I was getting very good at fixing flats.  It was quickly changed, but so had the weather.  Heidi was turning blue, it was time to turn towards home.  We made it home without any more stops.  Unfortunately we only got 26.5 miles of riding, leaving us about 35 short of completing the Ironman.

Rainy, snowy, days are perfect for indoor swimming.  Still needing 68 laps to complete the 2.4 miles, I headed for the fitness center.  My swimming has really improved.  I guess swimming a couple of miles will have that effect.  That was one of my goals when I registered for this Ironman, improve my swimming.  Heck, I just might be competing in triathlons come next summer.  It's kind of funny that the swimming was the thing I was most worried about, and it's the one that I finished first.  I guess swimming is the first event in a triathlon, so it's fitting that I finish it first.

I did weigh in earlier this morning.  But I forgot and weighed in after eating breakfast.  I didn't get a picture but I am back down to 224, losing the three pounds that I had gained last week.  My goal is to be down to 220 at the end of this month.  That is going to be a challenge with all of the pumpkin pie coming later this month.  I love pumpkin pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment