Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10

After writing up my post Friday night after the football game, I told myself that I was going to take the weekend off from blogging.  But, when I turned on the television this morning everything was about today's date, 10/10/10.  Could I let this date pass without posting something on my blog?  Obviously, not.

Fridays post was a lot of deep, serious thinking out loud.  I found myself thinking about the topic at different times yesterday and also this morning.  It seems that the older you get, the faster time passes.  It becomes so clear the importance of making every day count.  Not wasting ones life on things without value.

So in honor of this date, I am going to attempt to put together a list of 10, ten ways not to waste our life.  I am not trying to say that I have mastered these things.  In fact, just the opposite.  I am just once again thinking out loud of ways that I can better myself.

It is impossible to live without running into difficulty along the way. And it’s too easy to pile regrettable decisions on top of bad choices and be faced with overwhelming despair.  This list is not a bunch of don'ts and shouldn'ts or feelings of doom.  Instead, the idea of  not wasting our lives is all about positive choices. Every road to destruction has an alternative, positive, route.

  1. Believe: belief is the most powerful, positive life-changer there is. Believe that you are a valued person with something to contribute, and chances are you will.
  2. Know where you’re headed: The saying goes that if you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll end up somewhere else. Goals, both short term (I am going to lose 1.5 pounds this week) and long-term (by my next birthday I am going to lose 33 pounds), are necessary for purposeful change.
  3. Understand the true standard for success: Know that the standard for a successful life is found in serving others, being a great dad, loving our spouse, etc. These standards provide more satisfaction in life than “Spoiled, because I’m worth it”, or “He who dies with the most toys wins.”
  4. Value relationships as #1:  "No man is a failure who is loved by a child." That principle extends to our spouse, neighbors, friends and co-workers. To love, is the cure for the wasted life.
  5. A dependence on anything external for happiness is unnecessary: When we “need” others, or achievements, to feel worthy, or happy in any way, we’re focusing on the wrong things to validate our success in life. 
  6. Live in the moment: “I’ll feel like I’ve achieved something when ‘such and such’ has happened.”  This kind of thinking will always leave us needing something more for satisfaction.
  7. Learn to value long-term rewards and not short-term thrills:  This is a continuation of #5. When we believe we are dependent on externals for genuine satisfaction, then we will sacrifice what is real (relationships, stability, respect, hard work etc.) for things that are superficial. Grabbing what we can now and not placing value in what is lasting amounts to nothing short of waste.
  8. Always continue learning: Learners ask questions rather than act as if they know all the answers. It’s difficult to waste your life when you are humble and open to new ideas.
  9. Don’t sweat the small stuff: Knowing what we value puts it all into perspective. If we know why our life is not a waste, then we’re not as likely to get fooled.
  10. Never do anything you wouldn’t be comfortable doing in the presence of your Mother:  What would Leona do?  I was lucky to be born to one of the greatest moms ever.  If I could live my life as if she was always by my side, I would have no problem mastering this list.  My mother exemplifies a life not wasted.  My mother truly lives this list.  I love you, Mom.
Is that enough deep thought for one weekend?  I guess the point I am trying to make in these last two posts is that life is shorter than you think, and we don't have time to waste any of it.  We need to focus on winning every day.  Thank you all for your love and friendship.  I am truly blessed with the best family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment