Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Friday, October 22, 2010

CHEATING WITH MY GIRLS

This morning I was again up at 5:30 for my morning run.  It is such a relief to get it out of the way in the morning.  Yesterday, I felt no such relief. 

Wednesday I stayed up until midnight watching the playoff baseball game that I had recorded earlier in the evening.  So when the alarm went off yesterday, 5 hours of sleep was not enough to give me the strength I needed to get out of bed.  I barely had the strength to reach over and hit the snooze bar those 14 times, or however many there were.  When I finally got out of bed, I of course was disappointed that I hadn't gotten up.  I gave myself the "it's ok, you can run tonight after work" pep talk, to lessen my disappointment.  So all day long at work I had the evening run hanging over my head, like a less than favorite customer.  Something you try not think about it, but can't help dreading having to deal with.  I knew I would be tired and in no mood to run.  But I kept reminding myself that my last run after work had been one of my stronger ones.  It wasn't working very good.  I needed wanted a good reason to justify not running.  Driving home after work I found the reason.

Herriman High School had their homecoming football game last night with Riverton.  There were a lot of people at the game, as both schools are very close, creating a natural rivalry.  Unfortunately, it's not much of a rivalry yet.  Riverton won the game 45-0.  Shortly after arriving home there would be a lot of people driving the roads near my house.  More specifically, a lot of high school kids driving the roads by my house.  Would it be safe to be running the dark roads with all of those kids out there driving around?  Remembering my own high school nights, I decided to stay in the house with the doors locked.

This morning it helped that Heidi was getting up to go to a spin class with her friend, April.  It's easier getting up to punish yourself when you know that someone else is up suffering too.  Is that mean?  I don't care if it is.  At 5:30 in the morning, I will take whatever motivation I can find.  Thanks Hon!  You're suffering is my motivation. It worked.  I felt very motivated this morning.  It was a great run.  One of my best yet.  It seems like I say that after a lot of my runs.  It really was though.  6.9 miles in one hour and seven minutes.  I dropped 1217 calories out there to find someone else that is lacking my motivation.  So if you're not motivated, you better not come near my house for the next little while.  Those little c's will latch on to you if they haven't already found a new home.

What's one of the best things about getting up for a run in the morning?  You feel a little less guilty when you cheat.  Today my girls, Heidi and Brooke, picked me up from work and took me out for lunch.  It was nice to be together without the boys for once. They had been out this morning shopping and doing other silly, girly things.  If I was going to cheat, it was going to be good.  We went to In-N-Out Burger for lunch.  It was great sitting next to the two prettiest girls there.  Thanks for lunch sweethearts.  I love you girls, "just the way you are."

Randi's Health Tips
  • Allow yourself ONE cheat meal a week.  Whatever you want to eat in that meal - do it!  Depriving yourself entirely of things you love will only lead to failure.  Be realistic and enjoy something you love to eat once a week.  One meal a week is not going to ruin your diet but one meal a day will.
  • Limit the amount of fast food you eat.  Eating at home is not always easier but it is always healthier and cheaper!  This may not always be possible buy you can learn to order healthier options or by choosing restaurants you know offer healthy choices.  Eating out frequently also teaches your kids to be selfish.  They learn to think that they can have individualized meals and that eating does not require any work.  Children need to be involved in the cooking and cleaning up of food at home to see that it requires work to provide food for a family.  They also learn to eat what the family eats -  not just eating what they ordered.  Teaching your children to cook healthy gives them invaluable skills not only for their future but for their future families.  YES BOYS CAN COOK TOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment