Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BAD DAY OF CYCLING vs. GOOD DAY AT WORK

Us fishermen have a saying that "a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work".  But what about cycling?  Can the same comparison be made between cycling and work?  Prior to today, I would have said yes, without hesitation.  Prior to today I had never had a bad day of cycling.  That's not totally true.  There was that one day in June.

Once upon a time in June, there was this aging, fat man that thought it would be fun to go for a bike ride after work one night.  He really liked riding his bike because it made him feel less like an aging, fat man.  Bicycling made him feel younger, and thinner.  He almost felt like a superhero when he would ride his bike fast.  It made him feel as though he were flying.  Although the night was dark, the sliver of moon providing no light, the aging man continued in his quest, feeling younger with each turn of the pedal.  The darkness of the night played tricks on his mind, causing him to forget his age and his responsibilities as a husband and father.  The aging man decided to do something very stupid.  He decided to see just how fast he could ride his bike coming back down the canyon road in the darkness.  The aging man was riding flying too fast through the night.  In a split second, the blink of an eye, the fun ended.  The sound of the front tire explosion was followed closely by the sound of a shattering helmet and bike and man going separate ways down the road.  Then all sound was gone.  The aging man felt old again.

I hate that story.  Although, technically that was a bad night of cycling.  So, that still makes today my first bad day of cycling.  How bad you ask?

I wanted to get a nice, long ride in today of about 50 miles.  Knowing that would take me a little more than 3 hours, I had hoped to get an early start.  We woke up to rain.  Strike one.  I began to think that it would be a good day to go do some strength training and some swimming.  Swimming is something I would really like to be able to do.  I can't swim to save my life.  I can't swim to save your life either.  So you might want to bring someone else with you if I ever invite you to go swimming.  But I want to learn.  Not only for the exercise, but I would like to start doing some triathlons with Heidi.  Hard to do when you can't swim. 

The rain and clouds soon gave way to a blue sky.  It wasn't a sunny, blue sky, but I thought it would be enough to get my ride in.  I got myself ready to go, went to get on my bike, flat front tire.  Strike two.  Were these signs of things to come?  No, couldn't be.  That would be silly to think that.

The ride began quite nicely.  As nice as it can when the wind is in your face.  Seems like the wind is always in your face when you're riding a bike.  I just kept thinking that for the effort I was having to put in, the wind had better be at my back when I turned around to go home.  At this point I was having a good time.  The overcast sky was keeping the temperature down, which helped make up for the wind.  Mother Nature wasn't  being all bad.

Riding South on Redwood Road towards Utah Lake
 When I got out along the lake, the wind was blowing really hard off the water.  I decided to backtrack a bit and turn west out through The Ranches area of Eagle Mountain.  Really nice area of the valley.  I had never been to that area before.  I will give it a second chance, another day.

I was getting to the point in my ride when I was considering turning around to make the return trip home.  As I was deciding whether to ride another mile or two or turn around, the decision was made for me.  I had gone far enough.  But there would be no return trip home, on the bike.




I guess the back wheel got a little jealous of the front wheel getting a new tube before the ride started this morning.  Not satisfied with just a new tube, it decided it wanted a new tire as well.  Strike three.  Ride over.



Not what you want to see when you're 30 miles from home
with an unrepairable tire

I had no sooner called Heidi to come rescue me from another ride, when the clouds opened up and the rains came again. It would take her about an hour to get out to where I was.  I had nothing else to do but start walking, walking in the rain.  While walking I kept myself warm by thinking of the 1790 calories I left blowing across the valley like tumbling tumble weeds.  I smiled knowing they were out there freezing in the rain, without my body to keep them warm.  So freeze in hell you tumbling calories.  A wise man once said, hell is cold

So, is a bad day of cycling better than a good day at work?  I will let you know as soon as I have one.  As for today, I would do it all again.  Probably will.

Rescued
Randi's Health Tips:
  • It takes your brain 20 minutes to register that your stomach is full.  So eat slowly and don't take second helping till you have given your mind time to catch up with your body.
  • Chew lots of sugar free gum!!  Often the sensation of chewing can help you fight the craving to eat.  Minty gum will curb your appetite.
  • Instead of going for a late night snack go brush your teeth.  Brushing your teeth will keep you from wanting to eat.
  • Often when you feel hungry you are just really thirsty.  Try drinking a big glass of COLD water and give yourself a few minutes to get hydrated again.  If you still feel hungry then choose a small snack with a protein and a carbohydrate.  Example: peanut butter on a banana or on whole wheat toast.

2 comments:

  1. Leon, you blog is so fun and inspiring to read. You make my day with your stories. Thanks for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly with all of us. Hope your next ride is better. Your cuz, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. Glad you like it. It has taken a lot of my time, but I have enjoyed it. It has definately provided me with the motivation I had hoped it would. Hope all is well with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete