Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

WHY ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME?

On Thursday I took Austin and Chase fishing at Snow Lake.  Brandon chose to stay home because according to him, fishing is boring.  I don't know where I have gone wrong with that kid. He has way too much of his mother in him.  The lake is located on the Skyline Drive above Ephraim.  This has become one of my favorite places to fish over the last couple of years.  It has provided a nice mid-day activity during the archery hunt.

Brooke is spending the week with her cousins Doug and Britnee and their kids in Richfield.  Britnee was nice enough to drive up and meet us in Ephraim.  This allowed us to have enough time to get a little fishing in before Austin had to be back home for football practice.  I really wanted to get a little fishing in since I don't get down that way as much as I would like.

In order to have time for fishing, we had to leave pretty early.  When Chase woke up, he was very excited to be going fishing.  He quickly got himself ready to go.  After getting ready, he looked outside and saw that it was still dark.  Seeing that it was still dark, he looked at me and asked, "why are you wasting my time for sleeping?"

Unless you ask Austin, the fishing wasn't the greatest.  Chase and I both got skunked.  Chase was a little distracted today.  There was too much fun mud to play in and hills to climb.  There was also a cool breeze blowing that kept him in the truck playing his gameboy.  Austin was top fisher of the day, catching 4 fish.  After he caught his second, I thought he might have found a good spot for the day and went and sat by him.  Sitting right next to him, he continued catching fish, I continued not catching fish.  Reminded me of the very first time we fished Snow Lake.  Austin and Brooke caught 10 fish between them.  I was sitting right between them and didn't even get a bite.  What a good dad to sacrifice and let the kids catch them all.

first trip to Snow Lake

Even having caught no fish myself, it was a wonderful day spent with the boys.  I would waste my time for sleep for a day like today, everyday.  I am a lucky dad.








Randi's Health Tips

  • Recognize that developing healthy eating habits is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children and grandchildren.  Not only are you teaching them good habits, it also means you will be in better health and will live long enough to spend time with your family.
  • Junk food is like junk TV or trashy music.  We are taught to monitor the media we expose our children to.  Why would you let them take junk food into their bodies?  Letting them eat unhealthy food teaches them bad habits just as detrimental to their bodies as watching bad TV is for their minds.  You are helping to prevent numerous diseases & obesity.  You are also helping them develop greater self-esteem by teaching them not to use food as comfort.  Teach them active lifestyle tips such as sports, running, biking, etc. to release tension and stress instead of turning to food.  Also teach them that eating is necessary to live, not a leisurely activity.
  • So your kids are as skinny as bean poles and they should just eat whatever they want - right?  WRONG! It is not about how much your kids weigh. It is about how they feel and their ability to stay healthy.  Chances are they aren't always going to be skinny and now they have developed bad eating habits that will follow them into adulthood.  Plus, they aren't able to get all the energy and vitamins needed to sustain growth and learn at school if they are eating junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment