Welcome to my blog! This blog is a tool that I am using in an effort to lose weight. My hope is that by publicly tracking my weight and my efforts to reduce it, I will do just that. However, there is more to my life than just trying to lose weight. Along the way, I will share some of that also. Thanks for reading.

About Me

My photo
South Jordan, Utah
I am the husband of one,and the father of four. Most days I even like them all. I love them every day.

Monday, October 11, 2010

THINGS THAT I'VE LEARNED

Although this blog is still in it's infant stages, I realised today that I have already learned some important things.  Some of them I am quite surprise to have learned.  I will attempt to take you through my morning in the order that this knowledge was acquired.

  • Waking up at 5:30 is really nice, when compared to waking up at 4:30 like I did this morning.  That doesn't really need much explanation.  My Monday mornings are one of my most hectic of the week.  With Heidi working Sunday nights, it's up to me to get myself ready for work and the kids ready for school.  With my runs getting a little longer now, I knew that I needed to get up a little earlier in order to get everything done in time.
  • It's colder outside before 5:00.  When I walked outside this morning for my run, my first thought was "this is so stupid."  I must not be in my right mind to be out here running in this cold.  The first two miles this morning were like running in a stagnant pool of molasses.  It was so cold, my legs were having a hard time loosening up.  I didn't even start sweating until about 2 & 1/2 miles into my run.  For me that is unusual.  I usually tend to sweat quite a bit (remember my picture with Randi after spin class).  In fact, I have a funny story to illustrate this.  After one of our spin classes, we went to pick up Chase from the daycare at the rec center.  He came running out and gave me a big hug.  Then he looks at me kind of funny and says, "daddy, did you go swimming with your clothes on?"  So for me to not sweat for the first couple of miles, it was cold.  I felt really good for the next mile.  My legs were loose, the sweat was coming, I felt strong.  It was short lived.  Imagine if you had access to a walk-in freezer with a treadmill in it.  While you are running, someone stands next to you and sprays you with a water bottle.  That was what I was thinking while finishing my run.  I was finally sweating, and now I didn't want to.  It was so cold.  Oh well, I managed to leave 1030 calories in that stagnant pool.
  • I haven't yet learned how to dress for running.  The act of running used to be the hardest part of my runs.  That makes sense.  Now, just trying to figure out what to wear has that honor.  Remember how I overdressed for my Friday afternoon run?  This morning was quite the opposite.  What's worse is that I don't know what I would have done different.  I might need to invest in some more running clothes.  Just kidding, Heidi.
  • My running socks weigh 2 pounds.  I don't have any other explanation for my weight this morning.  Due to the fact that my only comments last week were about my model toes, and nothing about the 5.5 pounds that I dropped, I weighed with my socks still on this morning.  While running, I have often thought that they must be weighted.  Now I know for sure.  Explains why I have trouble running very fast.  I guess they do that to strengthen your legs.  I should have weighed the socks alone, afterwards.  I plan to do that.  Maybe the black ones are weighted for training and the white ones aren't and meant for racing.  I need to find out for myself and will post my results later. 

  • You can have a really good week, and not lose any weight.  I was surprised to see my weight remain the same as last week.  I decided to not check my weight during the week.  This gives me something to look forward to on Monday.  My workouts this past week were longer and burned more calories than the first week.  At the same time, I was worried about this weigh in.  Those of you that watch The Biggest Loser, know how they always talk about the second weigh in.  It seems like after shocking your body into dropping the weight the first week, it calls time-out.  It uses the second week to figure out what you are trying to do to it.  But now it's over.  Time to drop some more weight.
  • There aren't too many things nicer than a hot shower.  Especially after running in a freezer.
  • I like running, a little bit 

No comments:

Post a Comment